Online reviews of hunting gear and fishing gear including user reviews of rifle scopes, hunting boots, trail cameras and hunting bows.

White River CV2 Medium Fly Reel Fishing Reels

Fishing Reels Manufacturer: White River
White River Model: CV2 Medium Fly Reel
Review Category: Fishing Reels

Purchase: Fishing Reels I purchased this reel on sale at Bass Pro Outdoor World in Springfield MO (the mother ship) for $75. Regular price on this reel is $125. It is my primary reel for trout and panfish and is designed for line weights of 4-6.

Things I like about the White River CV2 Medium Fly Reel Fishing Reels: The drag on this reel is smooth as silk! I find it to be comprable with the disc drag on the Orvis Battenkill. This reel is large arbor allowing for a faster line retrive. I usually end up retreiving by hand about 90% of the time, so I rarely take advantage of this feature. Great to have though the other 10% of the time when I get into a nice fish. The CV2 will hold 85 yds. of 20 lb. dacron backing with a 5 wt. line, more than enough for most trout situations.

What I don't like about the White River CV2 Medium Fly Reel: Made in Korea. It would be nice if it had been made in the USA, but I'm sure that's how Bass Pro is able to keep it in this price range. Also, the warranty is only one year.

Fishing Reels CV2 Medium Fly Reel quality: The frame and spool are machined from aircraft grade barstock aluminum. It feels light, but very solid. I don't worry too much about banging it on the rocks. It has survived some abuse with only slight cosmetic damage. It has a disc drag and as I have stated previously, it is very smooth. If you break a tippet with this reel it's probably your falt, not the reel's.

CV2 Medium Fly Reel summary: The CV2 is Bass Pro's top of the line freshwater fly reel. This is a solid all-around reel with a great price. I'm giving this reel a rating of 5 in comparison with reels of a similar price point or less. However, I think that most anglers will be more than satisfied with the CV2, unless they really want to step up to the big boys like Ross or Abel for $300-$400 more.

Rating for this White River product: 5

Author of this review on White River Fishing Reels: Dawson Bean

Date: 2004-07-18

Usefulness Rating: 4.94737 out of 5.
19 reader(s) voted.

Please give us your opinion..

This White River Fishing Reels review brought to you by Hunting & Fishing Gear Review!


Hunting Gear Comparisons

Fishing Gear Comparisons

 All Gear Categories

 More Fishing Reels Reviews

Cabela's - Gift Cards

 Privacy Policy

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved